Snapchat released a new lens to support COVID-19 relief efforts on April 7. The augmented reality lens scans the paper money and shows you an animation about the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund for the World Health Organization. The lens also links to the fund’s website to donate. Donations support WHO in tracking the spread of the virus, providing medical supplies, and assisting in research and development of treatment. Here’s how to use it.
To use the lens:
- Open Snapchat
- Start typing the name of the lens, “COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund,” in the search bar at the top of the screen. This will filter the results. Touch the lens labeled “COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund.”
To activate animation:
- Make sure you are not in selfie mode. If so, flip the camera over by clicking the button in the upper right corner that looks like a rectangle made up of two arrows.
- Point your camera at a coin bill. Snapchat says its AR scanners can detect 23 different types of currency from 33 countries, but it has to be a note, not coins. In the case of US dollars, it must be face up (so you can see the face of the former president or the founding father that appears on your bill). Center the note on the screen so that it is approximately in the same rectangle where the four bills appear on your screen.
- This should trigger animation. First, you’ll see an animated version of your bill, then a hospital, then gloves and a mask, and finally a microscope. The animations represent what the donation money is for: patient care, medical supplies, and research.
- As with any Snap, you can tap that circular button towards the bottom of the screen during the animation to take a photo, or press and hold it to record a video of the animation and send it as a Snap. To post or submit it, click the blue arrow in the lower right corner of the screen. On the next screen, you can choose to add it to your story, the global Snapchat compilation Our Story, or send it to specific individual friends or group conversations. Tap the options you want, and then click the blue arrow in the lower right corner to submit.
- You can send the lens to friends by clicking the icon with an “i” in the upper left corner and then tapping “Send to friends”. Select the friends you want to send it to, and then tap the blue arrow in the lower right corner.
- Clicking the “More” button on the lens icon will open a screen that will show you the website of the Solidarity Response Fund COVID-19.
- Scroll down to where it says “Donate Now”
- You can choose an amount to donate by clicking one of the buttons or enter an amount in the white box (the minimum you can contribute is $ 3). You can choose to make this contribution monthly and make the donation in someone’s honor. Make your selections, then click “Next”.
- Fill in your contact and address information and click “Next”
- Enter your credit card information, then click “Next” and complete the donation
You can also go directly to the WHO COVID-19 Response Fund website to contribute, and you can also donate through Facebook or Google.